나는 왜 수돗물불소화에 관해 마음을 바꿨는가
존 코훈(John Colquhoun)의 이 글은 원래 열렬한 수돗물불소화론자였던 뉴질랜드의 저명한 치과의사가 어째서 불소화 반대론자가 되었는지를 묘사하고 있는 주목할 만한 증언기록으로서 시카고대학 출판부에서 발간되는 국제적 전문학술지 Perspectives in Biology and Medicine 제41권 제1호(1997년 가을)에 "Why I Changed My Mind about Water Fluoridation"이라는 제목으로 발표되었다. 코훈은 과학적 근거에서 불소화의 문제를 공개적으로 제기함으로써, 치과의사로서 그가 맡고 있던 공직에서 사퇴를 강요당하였으며, 그 후 오클랜드대학에서 교육사를 가르치는 교수로 전신하였다.
2. Brooking, T.W.H. A History of Dentistry in New Zealand. Dunedin: New Zealand Dental Assn., 1980. 214-215.
3. Hollis, M.J., and Hunter, P.B. Official Instructions: Dental health statistics, Form II children. School Dental Serv. Gaz. 41 (3):19, 1980.
4. Colquhoun, J. New evidence on fluoridation. Soc. Sci. Med. 19:1239- 1246, 1984.
5. Colquhoun, J. Influence of social class and fluoridation on child dental health. Comm. Dent. Oral Epidemiol. 13:37-41, 1985.
6. Colquhoun, J. Child dental health differences in New Zealand. Comm. Health Studies 11:85-90, 1987.
7. Yiamouyiannis, J.A. Water fluoridation and tooth decay: Results from the 1986-1987 national survey of U.S. schoolchildren. Fluoride 23:55-67, 1990.
8. Brunelle, J.A, and Carlos, J.P. Recent trends in dental caries in U. S. children and the effect of water fluoridation. J. of Dental Res. 69 (Special Issue):723-728, 1990.
9. Hildebolt, C.F.; Elvin-Lewis, M.; Molnar, S.; et al. Caries prevalences among geochemical regions of Missouri. Am. J. of Phys. Anthro. 78:79-92, 1989.
10. Jones, T., Steelink, C., and Sierka, J. Analysis of the causes of tooth decay in children in Tucson, Arizona. Paper presented at Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, San Francisco, USA, February 1994. Abstract in Fluoride 27 (4):238, 1994.
11. Steelink, C. Letter. Chem. Eng. News 27 July 1992:2-3.
12. Diesendorf, M. A re-examination of Australian fluoridation trials. Search 17:256-261, 1986.
13. Diesendorf, M. Have the benefits of water fluoridation been overestimated? Int. Clin. Nutr. Rev. 10:292-303, 1990.
14. Diesendorf, M. The mystery of declining tooth decay. Nature 322:125-129, 1986.
15. Gray, A.S. Fluoridation: Time for a new base line? J. Can. Dental Assn 53:763-765, 1987.
16. Ziegelbecker, R.C., and Ziegelbecker, R. WHO data on dental caries and natural water fluoride levels. Fluoride 26:263-266, 1993.
17. Teotia, S.P.S., and Teotia, M. Dental caries: a disorder of high fluoride and low dietary calcium interactions (30 years of personal research). Fluoride 27:59-66, 1994.
18. Colquhoun, J. Fluorides and the decline in tooth decay in New Zealand. Fluoride 26:125-134, 1993.
19. Hamilton, V., and Birkbeck, J.A. The Home Style Survey of New Zealand's Changing Diet. Palmerston North: Quality Bakers, 1985.
20. Herod, E.L. The effect of cheese on dental caries: A review of the literature. Austral. Dental J. 36 (2):120-125, 1991.
21. Price, W.A. Nutrition and Physical Degeneration, New York: Heuber, 1939.
22. Smith, G. Tooth decay in the developing world: could a vaccine help prevent cavities? Persp. Biol. Med. 31:440-453, 1988.
23. Treasure, E.T., and Dever, J.G. The prevalence of caries in 5-year-old children living in fluoridated and non-fluoridated communities in New Zealand. N.Z. Dental J. 88:9-13, 1992.
24. Ludwig, T.G. The Hastings fluoridation project. N.Z. Dental J. 54:165-172, 1958; 55:176-179, 1959; 58:22-24, 1962 (co-author EIF Pearce); 59:298-301, 1963; 61:175-179, 1965; 67:155-160, 1971.
25. Department of Health files on fluoridation in National Archives, Wellington, New Zealand. Copies in possession of author and described in: Colquhoun, J. Education and Fluoridation in New Zealand: An historical study (PhD dissertation, University of Auckland). Ann Arbor MI: University Microfilms International, 1987.
26. Ludwig, T.G. Recent marine soils and resistance to dental caries. Austral. Dental J. 8:109-113, 1963.
27. Colquhoun, J., and Mann, R. The Hastings fluoridation experiment: Science or swindle? Ecologist 16 (6):243-248, 1986; 17 (2):125-126, 1987.
28. Colquhoun, J. Flawed foundation: A re-examination of the scientific basis for a dental benefit from fluoridation. Comm.Health Studies 14:288-296, 1990.
29. Klerer, M. The fluoridation experiment. Contemp. Issues 7:119-143, 1956.
30. Sutton, P.R.N. Fluoridation: Errors and Omissions in Experimental Trials. Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 1960.
31. Diesendorf, M.; Colquhoun, J.; Spittle, B.J. et al. New evidence on fluoridation. Austral. N.Z. J. of Pub. Health 21:187-190, 1997.
32. J. Dental Res. 69 (Special Issue):606-613, 742-750, 556-557, 1990.
33. Colquhoun, J. Disfiguring dental fluorosis in Auckland, New Zealand. Fluoride 17:234-242, 1984.
34. Cutress, T.W.; Suckling, G.W.; Pearce, E.I.F.; and Ball, M.E. Defects in tooth enamel in children in fluoridated and non-fluoridated water areas of the Auckland Region. N.Z. Dental J. 81:12-19, 1985.
35. Colquhoun, J. Disfiguring or "white and strong"? Fluoride 23:104-111, 1990.
36. Aasenden, R., and Peebles, T.C. Effects of fluoride supplementation from birth on human deciduous and permanent teeth. Arch. Oral Biol. 19:321-326, 1974.
37. Jacobsen, S.J.; Goldberg, J.; Miles, T.P.; et al. Regional variation in the incidence of hip fracture among white women aged 65 years and older. JAMA 264:500-502, 1990.
38. Cooper, C.; Wickham, C.A.C.; Barker, D.J.R.; and Jacobsen, S.J. Letter. JAMA 266:513-514, 1991.
39. Jacobsen, S.J.; Goldberg, J.; Cooper, C.; and Lockwood, S. A. The association between water fluoridation and hip fracture among white women and men aged 65 years and older. A national ecologic study. Ann. Epidemiol. 2:617-626, 1992.
40. Sowers, M.F.R.; Clark, M.K.; Jannausch, M.L.; and Wallace, R.B. A prospective study of bone mineral content and fracture in communities with differential fluoride exposure. Am. J. Epidemiol. 133:649-660, 1991.
41. Jacqmin-Gadda, H.; Commenges, D.; and Dartigues, J.-F. Fluorine concentration in drinking water and fractures in the elderly. JAMA 273:775-776, 1995.
42. Danielson, C.; Lyon, J.L.; Egger, M.; and Goodenough, G.K. Hip fractures and fluoridation in Utah's elderly population. JAMA 268:746-748, 1992.
43. Keller, C. Fluorides in drinking water. Paper presented at Workshop on Drinking Water Fluoride Influence on Hip Fractures and Bone Health. Bethesda MD, 10 April 1991.
44. May, D.S., and Wilson, M.G. Hip fractures in relation to water fluoridation: an ecologic analysis. Paper presented at Workshop on Drinking Water Fluoride Influence on Hip Fractures and Bone Health. Bethesda MD, April 10, 1991.
45. Cauley, J.A.; Murphy, P.A., Riley, T.; and Black, D. Public health bonus of water fluoridation: Does fluoridation prevent osteoporosis and its related fractures? Am. J. Epidemiol. 134:768, 1991. Abstract.
46. Jacobsen, S.J.; O'Fallon, W.M.; and Melton III, I.J. Hip fracture incidence before and after fluoridation of the public water supply, Rochester, Minnesota. Am. J. Pub. Health 83:743-745, 1993.
47. Suarez-Almazor, M.E.; Flowerdew, G.; Saunders, L.D.; et al. The fluoridation of drinking water and hip fracture hospitalization rates in 2 Canadian communities. Am. J. Pub. Health 83:689-693, 1993.
48. Riggs, B.L.; Hodgson, S.F.; O'Fallon, W.M.; et al. Effect of fluoride treatment on the fracture rate in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. New Engl. J. Med. 322:802-809, 1990.
49. Kleerekoper, M.; Peterson, E.; Philips, E.; et al. Continuous sodium fluoride therapy does not reduce vertebral fracture rate in postmenopausal osteoporosis. J. Bone Mineral Res. 4(Suppl 1):S376, 1989. Abstract.
50. Hedlund, L.R.; and Gallagher, J.C. Increased incidence of hip fracture in osteoporotic women treated with sodium fluoride. J. Bone Mineral Res. 4:223-225, 1989.
51. Lindsay, R. Fluoride and bone - quantity versus quality. New Engl. J. Med. 322:844-845, 1990.
52. Melton, L.J. Fluoride in the prevention of osteoporosis and fractures. J. Bone Mineral Res. 5 (Suppl 1):S163-S167, 1990.
53. Fluorides and Human Health. Geneva: World Health Organization, 1970. 37-41.
54. Fluorine and Fluorides. Geneva: World Health Organization, 1984. 152-153.
55. Alhava, E.M.; Olkkomen, H.; Kauranen, P.; and Kari, T. The effect of drinking water fluoridation on the fluoride content, strength and mineral density of human bone. Acta Ortho. Scan. 51:413-420, 1980.
56. Arnala, I.; Alhava, E.M.; and Kauranen, E.M. Effects of fluoride on bone in Finland. histomorphometry of cadaver bone from low and high fluoride areas. Acta Ortho. Scan. 56:161-166, 1985.
57. Maurer, J.K.; Cheng, M.C.; Boysen, B.G.; and Anderson, R.L. Two-year carcinogenicity study of sodium fluoride in rats. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 82:1118-1126, 1990.
58. Kanwar, K. C.; Parminderjit, S.V.; and Kalla, N.R. In vitro inhibition of testosterone synthesis in the presence of fluoride ions. IRCS Med. Sci. 11:813-814, 1983.
59. Hoover, R.N.; Devesa, S.; Cantor, K.; and Fraumeni, J., J.F. Time trends for bone and joint cancers and osteosarcomas in the Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results (SEER) Program, National Cancer Institute. In: Review of Fluoride: Benefits and Risks, Report of the Ad Hoc Committee on Fluoride of the Committee to Coordinate Environmental Health and Related Programs. US Public Health Service, 1991. F1-F7.
60. Cohn, P.D. A brief report on the association of drinking water fluoridation and the incidence of osteosarcoma among young males. N.J. Depart. of Health, 8 Nov. 1992.
61. Gelberg, K.H.; Fitzgerald, E.F.; Hwang, S.; and Dubrow, R. Fluoride exposure and childhood osteosarcoma: a case-control study. Am. J. Pub. Health 85:1678-1683, 1995.
62. Lee, J. R. Review of report by K.H. Gelberg et al. Fluoride 29:237-240, 1996.
63. Yiamouyiannis, J.A. Fluoridation and cancer. Fluoride 26:83-96, 1993.
64. Chlebna-Sokol, D., and Czerwinski, E. Bone structure assessment on radiographs of distal radial metaphysis in children with dental fluorosis. Fluoride 26:37-44, 1993.
65. Li, X.S.; Zhi, J.L.; and Gao, R.O. Effect of fluoride exposure on intelligence of children. Fluoride 28:189-192, 1995.
66. Zhao, L.B.; Liang, G.H.; Zhang, D.N.; and Wu, X.R.
Effect of a high fluoride water supply on children's intelligence.
Fluoride 29:190-192, 1996.
68. Martin, B. Scientific Knowledge in Controversy: The Social Dynamics of the Fluoridation Debate. Albany, NY: University of New York Press, 1991.
69. Waldbott, G.L.; Burgstahler, A.W.; and McKinney, H.
L. Fluoridation: The Great Dilemma. Lawrence KS: Coronado Press,
1978. Ch. 18.
71. Report of Swedish Fluoride Commission. SOU, Stockholm: Statens Offentliga Utredningar, 1981. English-language summary 21-30.
72. Grimbergen, G.W. A double blind test for determination of intolerance to fluoridated water (preliminary report). Fluoride 7:146-152, 1974.
73. Hirzy, W. Press releases. Fluoride 26:279-281, 1993; Fluoride 30:258-259, 1997.